Herentalse Vaart was built in the fifteenth century to supply Antwerp with pure drinking water. The canal disappeared in the nineteenth century.
Herentalse Vaart was built in the period from 1486 until 1490 to cope with the demand for pure drinking water in Antwerp. The canal branched off from the River Schijn in Wommelgem and flowed via Deurne and Borgerhout, entering the city through the Blue Gate. From there onwards, the canal wound its way underground to the city canal in Meirbrug, where people could draw water from a well in Meir and Wapper. When the Spanish ramparts were built, Herentalse Vaart became part of the fortification. Subsequently the city drew water from the canal for the “De Houwer” water reservoir near Rode Poort gate and for the breweries, to also supply them with pure water.