Antwerp heritage

Re-alignment of the quays (en)

After 1875, the Scheldt quays were re-aligned. The largest part of the fortress city of Antwerp disappeared as a result. This included “Werf” (the wharf) and St. Walpurga’s Church.

Show on map
  • Plan for the re-alignment of the Scheldt quays
  • Demolition of the old quay and dockside cranes
  • New quay wall near the bulwark of St. Michael
  •  Demolition work near Steen Castle around 1880
  •  Demolition work near Steen Castle around 1880